Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Last Day in Iceland

Looking outside my window right now, I can see the Smyril Line Norröna ferry ship that´s set to take me to Denmark in a few hours. I will arrive in Hirtshals, Denmark Saturday at about 9am local time. Iceland has been great - a challenge at time due to the inhospitable weather and the inconveniences of being in isolated places during the off-season, but overall, I´ve had some great experiences, met some really good people and learned more about Iceland than I´d ever really wanted to know. So far, I´d really have to say that my best experiences here were walking down an empty road, staring at snow capped mountains, seaside cliffs or lava fields for hours waiting for a car to pick me up and whisk me off to some new and beautiful corner of this island. Hitchhiking is definitely the way to make your way around Iceland - and to make sure you get plenty of interaction with locals.

I need to keep this entry short because I have to get ready for the ship. Think rye bread, peanut butter and dried fish can sustain me for three days? We´ll see.  The meals on the ferry are €18 a pop, so I am going to do my best to avoid the cafeteria. Still haven´t had a chance to add pictures, but I´ve got some good ones. They´ll come soon enough.

1 comment: